For most of its existence to date, only part of the crop has been utilised, this being the ‘millable’ cane stalk which accounts for approximately 75% of the plant. But, there are moves afoot to promote the use of the entire crop, and to exploit its rich potential for raw sugar, animal feed and energy. There is an accelerating view that for far too long sugarcane has been under-recognised and under-utilised, and new markets for energy uses such as bioelectricity and biofuels are aggressively being explored. This makes the possibilities for sugarcane endless, when it is considered that worldwide only 20 countries produce oil for energy, yet approximately 100 countries cultivate sugarcane.
RLF Specialty Fertilisers are at the forefront of crop nutrition for sugarcane. Its highly-specialised products give enormous advantage to sugarcane growers as increased yield and healthier crops are delivered at harvest. RLF Specialty Fertilisers for sugarcane include the categories called Nutrients Chargers and Broad-spectrum foliars, all delivering optimal nutrient health and strength for the plant.
- The world’s top 10 sugarcane growing countries are responsible for nearly 82% of world production. In 2016 these countries were Brazil (38.7%), India (18.5%), China (6.5%), Thailand (5.1%), Pakistan (3.1%), Mexico (2.7%), Colombia (2.0%), Philippines (1.7%), USA (1.4%), Indonesia (1.4%). Rest of the World (18%)
- Brazil is by far the biggest producer of sugar, all coming from sugarcane production, and is also the world’s largest exporter. Other large exporting countries include Thailand, India, France, Guatemala and Mexico.
- World production of sugar (from both sugarcane and sugar beets) totalled 188 billion tonnes in 2016.
- Sugar beets, which also provide a rich source of sugar are grown mainly within the European Union countries.
- Sugarcane was first recorded in the Polynesian Islands about 5,000 years ago.
- Sugarcane requires a warm temperate to tropical climate and is grown across
- Sugarcane (and beet sugar) have many value-adding qualities and is used not only as sweetener, but also for malasses, rum and importantly ethanol.