| How RLF Adds Value to your Crop
RLF plays an important part in the production of food crops in many parts of the world.
RLF is a major contributor to plant health and nutrition, and has developed new and exciting technologies to advance crop quality and yield.
It's 'Integrated Fertiliser Approach' has a positive influence on achieving the increased crop yields necessary as demand for food grows.
RLF is committed to its role of providing the best possible outcomes and products for agriculture and is a proud partner to farmers and growers throughout the world.
Browse by Crop Type:
- Tomatoes are the most commonly grown above ground vegetable crop in the world with approximately 150 million tonnes of tomatoes grown each year.
- China is the world's biggest producer of tomatoes growing close to 50 million tonnes annually. The United States of America is the second largest producer followed by India, Turkey and Egypt.
- Australia ranks 47th in the world as a commercial tomato grower with approximately 300,00 tonnes grown annually.
- The tomato is the edible, mostly red fruit of the nightshade Solanum lycopersicum. Whilst it is botanically a fruit, it is considered a vegetable for culinary purposes which sometimes adds to confusion.
- The plant originated in the South American Andes with its food use originating from Mexico. It then spread rapidly throughout the world following the colonisation of South America by the Spanish.
- Cultivated tomatoes vary in size however the most widely grown commercial varieties tend to be in the 5cm – 6cm diameter range.
- Tomatoes grown specifically for canning are often elongated and known as plum tomatoes. They have a lower water content. The USA produces 35% of the world's canned tomatoes and they are mostly grown in California.
- Tomato growing responds well to the hydroponic environment and is often used in hostile growing environments as a viable way of providing access to the vegetable.
- The tomato is consumed in diverse ways including as a raw vegetable and as an ingredient in many dishes, sauces, salads and drinks.
- An Integrated Fertiliser Program using RLF products can greatly enhance crop quality and yield.